For Parents

We hope to answer some questions parents will have regarding their sons and daughters traveling to the U.S. or traveling to India. If you have more questions, please email us your question at You can also visit our contact us page and submit your question here:


Who pays for this transportation? Who makes the arrangements?

The government of India through IUSSTF will cover costs for transportation to and from airport. Arrangements will be made by the WINstep forward team as well as its partners in India for a point contact person at each specific institution.

Once in India, what are the transportation options?

There are buses that are arranged and provided for students to get to and from their institution and living quarters. More information on transportation will be given to the student at their site specific orientation when they arrive in India. The types of transportation provided to students for personal or general travel will be local taxis and local bus services. The student orientation will provide this information to students.

What happens if I don't like the lab or the lab work during the summer program?

You can contact IUSSTF or WINStep Forward and explain your concerns. We will try and advise you as to the best course of action.

Who is a resource for my son/ daughter in India?

Each institution will provide a person who will be there to help answer any questions. Once the student chooses an institution, they will be given contact information for their resource. In addition to local hosts, IUSSTF staff at the national level, and Winstep Forward team members from the US will be accessible 24/7 during the internship via email or phone.

Can I return home in case of emergency?

Yes, you can return home in case of emergency. Please contact IUSSTF and WINStep Forward as well as the administration at your host university to explain the need for your return.

Are we provided a mailing address and contact information in the event we need to reach them?

You will be provided an e-mail and phone number of the point contact person at the institution your student is located. Establishing a Skype ID prior to departure will help with contacting students.

What are the usual timings for the lab?

Lab members are expected to be in lab by 9:00 and stay until 6:00. You can come in earlier or stay a bit later to finish an experiment. Please do not stay so late that you are in the lab by yourself, or that you will be walking home too late at night. Please always take safety into consideration first. It would be best to come in and stay during the times when the sun is up and many people are still either in the lab or walking around on campus.

Who is a resource for my son/daughter in the U.S.?

Your son/daughter will be provided with emergency contact numbers by the host institution. There may also be former Khorana/Bose scholars who are currently doing their Ph.D.s at your son/daughter's host university. They also have been valuable resources for past Khorana and Bose scholars.

What happens if my son/daughter becomes ill? What are the procedures for both serious and non-serious illnesses?

Medical services are provided at all campuses, and if necessary, students can be transported to a hospital. Students are provided with medical insurance in case they need medical attention.

What meals are provided? If none, where and how are these arranged? Do they have conditions that they can keep food refrigerated?

There are usually several eating establishments on campus, either cafeterias or restaurants. Vegetarian food is available on campus. There are also multiple grocery stores on and off campus. Many cities also have Indian grocery stores. Many student residence halls usually have a kitchen in which students can prepare their own food, but that is not necessarily the case on all campuses. Please contact us or your student's host institution to verify more about meal/kitchen availability.

How much luggage can I carry?

Please visit your airlines website or contact your airline to determine how much luggage you can carry. Please do try to bring necessities in order to make your travel less cumbersome.

What are the transportation arrangements to and from India?

In India, transportation will be provided to and from the airport to the institution. A point contact person will be provided for each institution that will arrange pick up and drop off with your student.


What type of medications should my son/daughter bring with them?

Any medications that you are currently taking as prescribed by your doctor. Although there are many pharmacies to purchase most medications, you should bring any over the counter (OTC) medications that you might find difficult to obtain overseas. Examples of these types of medications are: anti-diarrhea, cold and flu, constipation, allergy, motion sickness, general vitamins, typical NSAID’s, etc.

What happens if my son/daughter becomes ill? What are the procedures for both serious and non-serious illnesses?

Medical doctors are located at most campuses. There is an informative CISI (the UW-Madison required travel insurance document that outlines all medical situations. It also outlines at which point a medical evacuation can take place and is fully covered for most typical medical situations.

Will I have health insurance? What is covered in insurance?

You will receive health insurance from IUSSTF.


When will my student receive instructions on getting their visa/ type of visa?

When the student is accepted to the program a team member of WINStep Forward and IUSSTF will contact them about the next steps, including the visa process. The host institution will also contact the student with respect to visa paperwork and timeframe.

What kind of visa is required?

A J-1 visa or a tourist visa

How will I get my visa?

The host institutions, IUSSTF, and WINStep Forward all work together to ensure that students receive their visas. The host institution will send you paperwork to complete which is then processed in the U.S., after which students are contacted to make appointments to obtain their visas.


Whom do I contact in an emergency situation?

You will be provided emergency contact numbers from IUSSTF, WINStep Forward, and also the host institution. It might also be a good idea to get emergency contact info from lab mates as well as fellow scholars. Please also call 9-1-1 from your cell phone. An emergency operator will answer the phone and try to help you.

Residential Accomodations

Will the students be living alone?

Each institution will house a minimum of two student scholars. Each student scholar will be able to connect with fellow scholars and other living mates at the conference in Chicago before their departure.

Where will I stay?

You will be assigned housing through your host institution. Most of the time the housing will be on campus, but sometimes institutions will find nearby off campus housing. You should receive details regarding your housing situation well in advance of your travels.

What will the living conditions be like?

Living conditions are location specific. Some institutions provide campus housing, while others provide community housing such as hostels. Please contact or IUSSTF for campus specific housing accommodations.

What is included in the living quarters?

Please contact for specifics based on location. Some institutions provide more than others. For example, one Scholar who researched at IISER Bangalore needed to find a mattress. Some scholars did not have refrigerators. Others did have refrigerators, stoves, and mattresses.


WIll I have access to a kitchen?

Kitchen access will depend on host institution housing. Sometimes a kitchen will be available, and sometimes not. Please check with your host institution.

Will there be Indian restaurants/vegetarian food there?

Most, if not all, campuses and/or their surrounding areas will have Indian restaurants. Please google Indian restaurants in your city/campus area. Also, American restaurants also usually have vegetarian food, such as sandwich shops, etc. There are also Indian grocery stores within most of the cities where your host institution is located. Cooking will depend on the availability of a kitchen.

How much does a meal cost?

One meal at typical student restaurants cost somewhere between $7-$10. Off campus restaurant prices can be higher, anywhere between $10-$20 per meal.

Should I bring cooking utensils?

You might want to bring a small. lightweight frying pan (for eggs and paratha and such) and/or small lightweight saucepan for maggie noodles and such. You can also bring a fork or spoon in your checkin, not your carryon. Also, a microwaveable bowl would be helpful.

Will food be available immediately?

Please bring a small amount of readily consumable food with you, such as namkeen biscuits, maggie noodles, and maybe some homemade foods such as paratha, upma, etc, in case everything is closed upon your arrival.

What meals are provided? If none, where and how are these arranged? Do they have conditions that they can keep food refrigerated?

Campuses have their own cafeterias which are open during most of the day. Some campuses have more than one cafeteria and in addition some have smaller canteens which serve snacks throughout the day. Students can go grocery shopping outside the campus, as there are several easily accessible grocery stores throughout the city. Some locations will have refrigeration or cooktops available for individuals, but in past students have commented that it was not readily available outside of a specific eatery establishment, so please contact us to find out about refrigeration/stove availability at your son/daughter's institution.


How much cash should I bring?

Please try and bring a minimum of $300-$500 cash with you. This amount is outside of the stipend which will be provided to you.

When will I get paid?

You should receive your stipend once you arrive at your host institution. They will inform you upon your arrival of further steps you will need to take, such as opening a bank account in the U.S., obtaining bus passes, availing yourselves to other forms of on and off campus transportation, etc.


Are there side trips available? Do these occur in a group?

ide trips are available, but not funded through the program. The student must set up side trips on their own, if they choose to travel. We suggest they travel in a group to make the most of their trip and to ensure safe travels. Some students have suggested as a good resource for these separate trips. Neither IUSSTF nor Winstep Forward will take responsibility or liability for these trips. Please let your lab and the host institution know if you are traveling outside the city.

Will I be provided a cell phone in the U.S.?

No, you will not be provided a cell phone in the U.S. You have three options: 1. Check your own personal cell phone policy with respect to making calls in and from the U.S. 2. Purchase a Matrix calling card from India and your parents will pay the bill from India. 3. Purchase a pay as you go phone from the U.S. We will post affordable plans and providers. We highly recommend a cell phone in the U.S. in case of emergencies.
Site created by Carie Rogers    © WINStep Forward